Thursday, June 11, 2009

I rather be the city rat than the country rat. Comment.

Well, if I were to put it in a very organised layout, it will be the pros and cons of living in the country and the city.


Country
Pros:

I got to experience the wonders of the country! I always love camps and overnights in the wild. The feeling you get would be totally different. You could really feel your five senses activating, reacting to the different sights, sounds, smell, feel, and maybe taste! I would have really like the Secondary 1 camp if the number of people could be reduce and perhaps the attitude of the trainers and my friends would be more positive? This is my personal feeling that I have not voiced out till now. I would loved to see the picturesque scenery of the country and the weedy backyard of my cottage. (If I could have mine.) I would loved to hear the cheerful chirps of the birds and the incessant buzz of bugs. I would loved to smell the sweet aroma of fresh-baked homemade bread and the damp earth in the morning. I would loved to stroke my own marmalade-coloured pussy on my lap when I got home (I loved kittens!) and the rough texture of my home's ancient stone walls. (Which I hope that's what my cottage was made of.) I would also loved to taste my own papaya grown from my papaya tree in my backyard. Of course, all of the wishes seemed very far-fetched and countryside was depicted like some paradise in the Garden of Eden. However, this would be true if I were to worked hard.

Living in the country would prove to be a boost for my health because I could escape from the deathly fumes released from the factories. Well, Singapore certainly do not have very polluted air. However, a breath of fresh morning air a day, keeps drowsiness far far away!

Cons:

Access to electricity and having high-tech appliances could proved to be more challenging in the countryside. Furthermore, if I were to rear poultry and cultivate crops, the effort needed to do the chores would no doubt be extremely tiring and the capital needed would not be very small. Access to transport will also be difficult in the countryside. Literacy level may be lower than urbanites. Medical services may not be that available too?Hmm...I suppose that's all? I could not think of anymore already. Please comment to let me know more cons of the countryside.


City
Pros:

I can have very high-tech appliances and a very convenient lifestyle. Examples of very high-tech appliances that perhaps cannot be found in the countryside would be the deem-to-be-indispensable air-conditioner. How many homes in Singapore owned a air-conditioner? And how many homes in Singapore owned more than one air-conditioner? I doubted countryside houses would be filled with air-conditioners like ours. A lot of people deemed air-conditioner as a very necessary and important appliance at home. I cannot denied it being important as it brings comfort though I use my air-conditioner once in a blue moon. :)
The transport in the city were very efficient and convenient. The food in the city are very health-wise too. The medical services should be rather available.

Cons:

Most cities has polluted air that can caused many undesirable illness. The cost of living would be very expensive too. Living in the city can be very stressful and pressurizing. The population could be quite dense.

In the end, I considered very long and I went to read Joshua Hia's, Si Hao's and Zheyi's blog. Then I realise one thing that was different from one another's blog post. The city would mostly be compared to as Singapore or Bombay and the countryside/country would most likely be compared to as the village Thul or some other countries with scenarios like storybooks description about countryside/country. Finally, I realised I have not much of a stand but if the scenario were to be Thul Vs Bombay, I would choose Bombay because it would be much more practical. However, if it were to be *The Peaceful Country* Vs Singapore, I would choose *The Peaceful Country*, as it has always be my dream to experience country life.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. You mentioned in 'Country:Pros' that you can escape from the fumes of the factories. In my opinion if I were capable and lived in the country, I would try ways and means to improve the situation. People in the countryside is 'cut-off' from the society, thats why i prefer to be living in the city. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree your stand that countryside citizens are cut off from the society. So, what does your society means? The whole society does not consists of urbanites only! They may be cut off from higher standard technology and efficient transports, but that technology does not mean everything to humans. Countryside citizens have a life of their own. They got their own beliefs, thoughts and ways to do things. Its the same as Buddhists and Christians, they each have their own thinking but we all live in a society.

    ReplyDelete