Friday, June 26, 2009

Confessions of a Storybook Maniac

I still recalled that there was one time I read a book continuously for 3 hours. This could be counted as non-astonishing for some of you but to my mother, she was freakishly shocked. I still remember that that was in my Primary 6 schools holidays and I ate my lunch an hour late. I have forgotten the title of the book or else I would have recommended it to you all. :)

That was only one event that I have relate to you but there were times when I could not recover from the over-reading. I would not stop reading a book I really liked unless my mother stopped me or another event that caught my interest that was able to tear me away from the book. Hunger, thirst and fatigue are definitely not one of the factors if that book were to caught my interest. That was another time when my mother yelled at me to stopped reading and start revising my homework and I have no choice but to listen to her as her face was turning pale. (with anger) I stood up immediately and my eyes saw only colours of the rainbow and a overwhelming pain in my brain knocked me straight back onto my seat. The swirling of the rainbow's colours made me feel dizzy. That was the very first time I really considered taking note of the time I spend reading a book continuously.

However, I notice that time in secondary schools are limited. Naturally, I would spend lesser time to read. Even so, I would love to recommend the book 'Garden Spells' By Sarah Addison Allen to you all. It has some adult content but what I really wanted to share is the idea of the *country* that surface in my mind during my post of I Rather Be The City Rat Than The Country Rat. The scene where the story has mostly taken place was at a town in North Carolina. The town seemed to me as a part of a country rather than a part of a city because locals know the secrets of their neighbours. Also, in this little place, the surname mean something. Examples are the Waverley women, which are the main characters in the story. The Waverley women are always somehow touched by magic. There are also the Hopkin men who always married older women. Well, the country in my mind was like this where locals know secrets of their neighbours and generations of staying in the place has it meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment