Monday, June 15, 2009

The Book(s) that Made an Impact in My Parents' Lives

My father is reading "'The Master-Key To Riches' by Napoleon Hill. He feels that the book is very inspirational and the book is said to "form the success experiences of hundreds of the world's most powerful and wealthy men, will show you how to succeed in any walk of life".

He chooses books with titles that could give self-motivation. He thinks that reading for leisure could build up interest in reading and reading for work would somehow have some pressure. The book that has most impact on him is 'Think and Grow Rich.' He said that the book inspire him to work hard towards his objective.

The book that he deem the most enjoyable was 'Never Love a Stranger' by Harold Robbins. He read the book at the age of 18. He finds the book exceptionally enjoyable as he was at the peak of his puberty. According to Wikipedia, the book was said to be able to created controversy with its graphic sexuality and Ian Parker says that according to Robbins, publisher Pat Knopf bought Never Love a Stranger because "it was the first time he had ever read a book where on one page you'd have tears and on the next page you'd have a hard-on."

If his shelf caught fire, he would grabbed 'Winning' by Jack Welch. He like Napoleon Hill's books the most because his books are always very inspirational and motivating. He reads his books whenever he is free. He encourages children to read Enid Blyton. He thinks that Enid Blyton's books are very adventurous and interesting. He thinks that reading is a good pastime and it improves his knowledge and made him a wise man. It also broadens one's perspective. He told me that the chinese have one saying, “书里自有黄金屋,书中自有缘如玉”. *Note that this saying has many variations.*

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zhiyong, it seems that your parents read a lot! I am sure you do too. I have never read any of the books mentioned and I hope you could tell me the summary of the book 'Winning'. Do you think that we could have outgrown Enid Blyton's books? Haha, I was talking about the simple ones like famous five...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I certainly agree that we have outgrown Enid Blyton's book but I still treasured one of Enid Blyton's book that my Science teacher have gave me. Erm...I am not too sure of the content of Winning but here's a webpage you could get some brief idea of the book. http://www.profitadvisors.com/winning.shtml

    ReplyDelete