Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The friend I want in TKAM

If I could choose, I would choose Jem. In a realistic manner, since we are both closer in age and same gender, we would get along well. (Stereotype-thinking) The reason why I chose Jem the moment I read the question is because I can empathise with him. This decision is greatly influenced by the trials during the later part of the novel. I was elated like him when I read that Tom Robinson's left arm was crippled. I thought that for once, despite nagging doubts, that Atticus would win the case. Raw shock gripped me when I read the part with 4 guilty together. I blanked out for a sudden. This may seem dramatic, but I did not know whether it was the long hours I spent on the book that made me thought that I read wrongly or I was simply rejecting the words on the book. I couldn't believe that he actually lost though it has to be like this in the novel to fully express the strong discrimination of the Whites to the Negros. I refused to believe it and read the page 217 three times, confirming the truth. I felt nothing but pity and unfairness for Tom Robinson. Just as the book stated, it just ain't right.

At that moment I really felt liked comforting Jem, telling him that he was not the only person feeling that the jury was blinded by prejudice. That was when I felt that Jem was rather similar to me in that aspect. Perhaps I would have wanted to be friends with Scout if she was portrayed as a little bit more matured. However, the purpose of Scout, Jem and Dill being in different ages was to show the different rates and stages of maturation in the three children and I thought that Jem's maturation stage was like mine since I could understand how he felt in the novel better than Dill or Scout. Hence, it would be rather nice to have a friend that feels the same way as you do. That's just what I thought.

1 comment: